http://www3.grips.ac.jp/~nhosoe/pmw/index.html
細江宣裕/政策研究大学院大学
---

第2回

日時: 2018年7月14日(土)

場所: 政策研究大学院大学 4階 会議室4B

14:00-15:50

講演者: 中島賢太郎氏 (一橋大学)

題目: Impact of workplace communication networks on productivity: A new
approach using wearable sensors

概要: This paper empirically investigates the structure of communication
networks among employees within a firm and the impact of the
communication networks on their productivity. To collect information
on face-to-face communication among employees quantitatively, we use
wearable sensors that automatically record data on face-to-face
communication among employees wearing them at two offices of a company
that provides software support to corporate clients. Using the data,
we first show the structure of the communication network using
sociogram. Next, we investigate the impact of the communication
network on productivity. The results show that an increase in
betweenness centrality in a communication network has a positive and
significant impact on office performance. Communication between
employees can be interpreted as the transfer of their specialized
knowledge. Thus, it is considered that an employee’s high betweenness
centrality indicates that the employee efficiently gathers information
from various colleagues through the communication network. These
results imply that the efficient gathering of information through
face-to-face communication with various colleagues who have
specialized expert knowledge improves productivity by helping to solve
complicated problems that employees face.

16:10-18:00

講演者: 小西祥文氏 (筑波大学)

題目: Distorted Technical Change? Evidence from New Vehicle Launches in
the Japanese Automobile Industry

概要: We empirically examine the distortionary impact of an
attribute-based regulation on technical change, in the context of new
product launches in the Japanese automobile industry. Under the
Japanese regulation, fuel economy standards are a step function of
curb weight, and their stringency levels vary substantially over time
across weight bins of different sizes. We explicitly exploit these
quasi-experimental variations in the
difference-in-difference-in-differences framework to control for
confounders that may be correlated with regulatory assignment. We find
strong evidence in support of our theoretical prediction: An
attribute-based regulation distorts technical change when it creates
trade-offs between the targeted and secondary attributes that differ
from technically feasible trade-offs. We also demonstrate that
bunching behavior reported elsewhere was evident only in reporting to
the government, but not in product offerings in the market.

--
Nobuhiro Hosoe, Ph. D.
Professor, Director of Admissions Office